Monday, October 27, 2008

The Theological Understanding of a 5 Year Old

I (Chris) actually decided I needed to share this one myself.

I was putting Annabelle to bed last night and was singing the first verse of Amazing Grace. After I finished she asked what it meant that, "I once was lost but now am found, blind but now I see." So I explained to her grace and how it is God loving us even though we do bad things, and the propitiatory elements of his sacrifice for us, and how God changes us through a process called santification. (OK maybe not all of that is true but it was theology for a 5 year old) So she says to me, "I love Jesus, he's like a big daddy." I chuckled and thought, "wow I must be a great Christian parent my nearly 5 year old daughter understands Abba, that God is her daddy that he loves her so much and does anything for her, even disciplines her when needed." As I thought this I told her that Jesus loves her too, even more than her daddy does and I love her as much as anything in the world. She then says, "I like Disneyland too, I think Ariel is the best." OK, so I am actually a horrible Christian parent because for some reason there is a connection in her mind between Jesus and Disney (this must be what the southern Baptists feared would happen). But we finished up thanking God for our favorite things because all good things come from him and for my sanity's sake I am going to assume that she just has an attention of a child and that Jesus is really her big daddy.

1 comment:

MillerFam5 said...

LOL! God has a settle way of humbling us doesn't he!
You do have one smart cookie there though!