Wednesday, April 16, 2008

People

Well if you know me, you know I love people. I love getting to know people, and cultivating relationships with those I know. I guess I have always felt like taking care of and loving people is what I do best. But God has brought it to my attention over the last couple of days that my motives aren't always pure.
We have been going through a book in our life group called "Jesus of Suburbia" by Mike Erre, and last night we focused on how we live in a society that caters to our every whim. It is a life where we have many options to choose from, from breakfast cereal to the person we would like to date. It caters to our need to satisfy our wants and desires. It is hard to not become "me focused". I have come to realize my intentions for getting to know people are often based on my desires, not God's.
And then this morning in my moms group we talked about hospitality, and how just an invitation given to someone to join me for a meal or coffee, or a chat, is of utmost importance. And by doing this I am cultivating the fruits of the spirit in me. Am I reaching out to others purely because I love my God and the people he created?
This I believe is what God called us to do; to love Him and to love others. But to do that I have got to love my self a little less. This message is so opposite from what this world teaches, which is to search inside yourself, and to love yourself.
Well I can say that I am thankful that this Christian walk is a process and that I have a savior who loves me exactly the way I am, and that without his love and grace I would be nothing.

4 comments:

The Toms said...

amber, i truly look forward to sitting down with you over a cup of coffee and chatting when i return home. even though our get togethers have been brief, I have greatly enjoyed them and your company.

Chris and Amber said...

So have I! Thanks Tiff!

MillerFam5 said...

Thanks for the perspective Amber. It really makes one think. Everything we do should be motivated by our love for God and his creation and that is almost always not the case with most of us, although we can disguise it to make it look so. I think I might need to check out that book when you are done!
BTW - I always enjoy your company and hospitality and you are a wonderful friend, you have done so much for me and my family and even if I didn't know your motives, it was still a huge blessing to me so I think it's still better to do something good out of selfishness than to do nothing at all. We can still bless others while God is working on our hearts. Just a thought. I love you!

Misty and Matt said...

Touching blog Amber! You've impacted so many along the journey!