Monday, April 14, 2008

Blessed

I just finished another Khaled Hosseini book "A Thousand Splendid Suns". Although it was a fictional book, it was a great representation of what women are facing in Afghanistan, today! The astounding thing to me as I was reading the book was that women are dealing with the same issues in the 2000's that they did in the 1900's. And this book got personal as it followed the lives of two women amidst the communism, tyranny, oppression and war their country has faced and are still facing. This book was so compelling, that I read it in a week (it usually takes me a few weeks to get through a book). After I put it down, I felt immense gratitude for my freedoms, (almost guiltily) and I hugged my husband and children tightly, so grateful for them and thankful that God has given me this life with them. It has invoked a thankful heart that I hope to continue to cultivate!

3 comments:

Debbie said...

I just read that a few months ago! Great book. It left me feeling the same way.

Lauree "LO" Austin said...

That would be awesome Amber!! I will see you Friday!
Thank you so much!
Lauree

The Toms said...

Now I am reallly stoked about reading this. I just picked it up a week ago and haven't gotten a chance to dive in yet, but soon!