Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Sweet Sacrifice

Ok. So lent has not been something that I usually participate in. Kinda like I don't really make New Years Resolutions either. I figure, why set myself up for failure? I know, high expectations eh? The thing is, I am always trying to have more discipline in my life, and it is an ongoing battle. But I felt a desire to give something up this year for the lent season. I have felt particularly lazy and unmotivated recently, with my spiritual walk, and in everyday life, so I gave up the thing I think I am most addicted to, and in the area I am the least disciplined in, which would be eating. I have some sort of sugar fix about 3 times a day, and it's not always a big dessert, but still it adds up (especially since I dump a ton in my coffee every morning). I figured, if I have this desire for sugar, three times a day, then three times a day I can remember why I am not having it, and have found myself thanking God for who he is, and remembering his sacrifice for me, and that I really don't deserve to be alive, much less have a sugar fix. It really is small potatoes, considering the bigger picture, and that others don't even get three meals a day. I am craving sugar, for sure, but so far am enjoying the discipline - go figure!

No comments: